8/31/10

Your First Year: "You Have Made It"

"I want to extend my personal congratulations to you on your first anniversary with SAIC!"

Today marked my first anniversary of the day of my origination of employment with my current job.

We first met last summer on a whim. I was still in school. I wasn't looking for anything serious, but I saw your profile online. How you described yourself was intriguing to me, and I could see a long term potential between us. So I tried to get a hold of you.

To my surprise, you contacted me soon after I first attempted to get in touch with you. You wanted to meet that week. Given I had nothing to lose just meeting you, I agreed, and by Friday I was back in the Bay Area, ready to see what chances I had with you.

Our first meeting turned out to be fairly pleasant. We chatted, we clicked, and exchanged information with the promise that one of us would get a hold of each other again. I did my best to not seem desperate and call back first, but I couldn't help it. I had to contact you somehow, so I sent you an email thanking you for your time.

A few days later, I received wonderful news. You had called me back! We spoke for a bit, and you told me you wanted to be with me. I was ecstatic. I couldn't help but feel relentless joy at the fact that we would be meeting again. But we had to wait until we would be together again. I wouldn't be free to see you again until I was done in Southern California.

You were the reason I came back home to the Bay Area. When we did meet again, it was official between us. Although at first we would only be able to see each other for part of the time, I enjoyed our time together. I wanted more time together. I frequently expressed how I wish we could spend more time with each other.

After a few months, we finally started spending our days fully with each other. It was bliss. I definitely felt the benefits of being in a full time relationship with you.

Days and months passed, and I began to grow tired of you. I'll admit I began to grow bored of our full days together. Day after day, it was the same thing. Our time together grew mundane and soulless, and I began to search for someone else to devote myself to. I didn't believe we had a future together.

At the beginning of the summer, I found someone new. Someone who shared my goals and my passions, and who I believed I would have a real future with. I told you about this new devotion of mine. You were hurt at first, you did not want to let me go. We argued and we discussed what the future held for us. I admitted I didn't want to let you go completely, but I just wanted to explore new opportunities.

After some deep and interminable conversations, we agreed that we wouldn't see each other as much. I devoted more of my time to my new flame, and learned more and more about who I could see myself with in the future.

Time passed, and I grew to miss you. While you were stable and boring, I simply failed to see a future in the direction I was heading in. I came back to you, repentant, and grateful that you are going to take me back fully.

Well here we are, one year later. I'm happy to have you and appreciate all that we've shared with each other. Are you?


"what is this, a wannabe full house?"
-MS

3 comments:

  1. wow, a year already at your job? congrats!! My year will be on October 5th. Actually on my birthday there was a crazy change going on at work but i'll tell you in a private message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do tell me later! you know how to DM me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "don't forget. you're here forever."

    ReplyDelete