11/25/08

#1 on my charts, part 2

Today: Covers, Electronic, and Really Sad Songs (AKA breakup songs)

So for the next few days, I'm going to be posting my favorite tracks from my favorite genres. Not neccessarily what I'd make a full blown playlist out, but rather the stuff I wouldn't mind on repeat.

Covers

#1 On My Charts Pt. 2 - Covers

Cover artists are an interesting breed. An artist can choose to completely re-interpret the song into their own style, allowing the listener to discern the tune and appreciate the song in a new light. Or, a cover artist can try and mimic the song in every way in order to stay true to the original, but adding their own creative sound to it. Either way, it's tough to get it right. The following list is not full of perfect covers, but rather ones I feel were done well enough to catch my ears.

Chris Cornell - Billy Jean
Song Covered - Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
Oh, it takes guts to cover the king of pop. Many who do run a risk of butchering the original, making it no longer a tribute but more of a karaoke session. But Chris Cornell takes the track, slows it down, and turns it into his own. Had you not known the tune before, it would stand alone as a beautiful ballad lamenting all that could go wrong on those fateful nights.

Obadiah Parker - Hey Ya
Song Covered - Hey Ya by Outkast
The first time I heard this track, I literally laughed out loud. Perhaps it's because I didn't expect the song to be what it is, or maybe it's because I first saw it on youtube completely lip synched to the actual music video, but either way, this guy does a fine job of staying true to the tune.

Passion - So Sick
Song Covered - So Sick by Ne-Yo
Had I not known that Passion had done this rendition, I would have beleived this was actually Ne-Yo on the guitar.

Rhett Miller - Girl
Song Covered - Girl by the Beatles
One of my favorite Beatles tracks, I was glad to hear a cover that didn't stray too far away from the original. I can easily say that I would enjoy listening to either version repeatedly on repeat.

A Perfect Circle - Imagine
Song Covered - Imagine by John Lennon
Alot of people don't view this rendition in the highest regard, but I try to keep an open mind. Sure, it completely changes the whole mood of the song, but that's the point. If John Lennon had instead decided to sing in the minor key, this would probably be close to what it would sound like. The message still gets across though.

Sonic Youth - Superstar
Song Covered - Superstar by the Carpenters
Once again, a classic track with a modern feel. Both versions give off the same aura, and yet are distinct to each own's generation.

Scala & Kolacny Brothers - Creep
Song Covered - Creep by Radiohead
One of my favorites by Radiohead, this song has been often remixed, covered, rendered, what have you. There are acoustic, electronic, acapella, and even orchestrated versions of this song. But my favorite? This version. There's just something tingling about hearing a heavenly sounding women's choir singing "I'm so fucking special" with a hint of a Belgian accent.

Igudesman and Joo - I Will Survive
Song Covered - I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
Have you ever heard of these guys? They're hilarious. And talented. And inventive. And downright amazing. If you must know, yes, at 2:32, the violinist begins playing with an electric nail filer, and yes, at 2:56, he takes that electric filer, and plays it on the piano strings at just the right areas to get the right chords, and yes, at 3:29, that is another song snuck in there that some of you may appreciate.

Electronic

#1 On My Charts Pt. 2 - Electronic

No, I ain't gonna deny it. There was a time I was into trance and techno and all that fun stuff back in the day. It was the advent of the popularity of the Rave, and I rode along with it. I avoided the drugs and the wild parties, but I did enjoy the music. My taste in it has toned down, and even my choice of music you'd call "electronic" has toned down to more mellow tunes that are influenced from trip hop and even new age.

Ratatat - Mirando
So many elements in this song keep this fun track catchy and interesting.

Air - La Femme D'Argent
I can't help but imagine myself flying over the horizon while listening to this euphoric track.

Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
Dramatic and melodic, this is Fatboy Slim at his best.

Enigma - The Eyes of Truth
Many of you may recognize this as the tune that showed up in all those Matrix trailers. You won't hear it till about 4:06, but you'll definitely appreciate the rest of the track as well.

Rob D - Clubbed to Death
Another track that the Matrix borrowed a clip from, this song provides all the menacing undertones you'll need in a sci-fi thriller. Next, I have to learn how to play that piano break.

Burial - Archangel
Now here's something I wouldn't mind getting high to.

Sad Love Songs

#1 On My Charts Pt. 2 - Really Sad Songs

Oh, the break up songs. Stuff you'd listen to when you're feeling down in the dumps after that horrible split with your significant other. One would think that you should listen to happier songs to get out of that horrible horrible mood, but there are just some days when you just want to listen to something that reflects your state of being.

No Doubt - Don't Speak (Acoustic)
The break up ballad for all love struck and lost teenagers of the 90s, now even more emotional and powerful with the acoustic simplification of the track.

Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul?
You can't hear this song and watch the video without feeling some sort of emotion. Look it up on youtube. But let me warn you, it's not for the faint of heart.

Maroon 5 - Nothing Lasts Forever
Ignoring the fact that the chorus is recycled from the bit they did for Kanye, every part of this song evokes a somber sense of resignation to failure in love.

Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgetting
This was my personal anthem for the longest time. A song that helps personify those of us who "keep forgetting."

Wham! - Careless Whisper
Can't forget this classic.

Santana - She's Not There (rendition)
A wonderful job at covering this Zombie classic, Santana gives us his rendition of a track dedicated to deception and mistakes made in love.

India Arie - Good Morning
A heartfelt track of a realization of the reality of a situation and the eventual acceptance that many of us may find very easy to relate to.

Limp Bizkit - Don't Go Off Wandering
My quintessential anthem for those really nasty breakups.

Next time: Oldies, Soul, and Funk

"how could I forget the guy who gave me Christmas in my mouth?"
-LS

1 comment:

  1. i also thought that "imagine" cover by a perfect circle was underrated. you've got some huevos to put limp bizkit in any favorite category.

    ReplyDelete