5/25/09

"No one has ever complained about their rank getting higher."

Ever google yourself? it's slightly entertaining.

Google searches of my name prove that not only am I the young and dashing author of this blog (narcissism is fun!), but I am also a cosmetic surgeon from Philadelphia, the Principle Designer for the Voodoo business unit, a founding partner of the law firm Coughlin Stoia, a nephrologist in Mount Sinai,NY, 6 feet tall and a cancer, Seattle Police Department's South Precinct Crime Prevention Coordinator, and a failing student at Llanview University on One Life to Live.

Pretty impressive resume. Why hasn't it gotten me a job yet?

Anyways, so I decided to google my username, used variably across AIM, twitter, youtube, and even here. The first few results made sense, links to some of my videos on youtube, a direct link to my twitter profile (blocked to the general public, of course), and various other twitter accounts who hadn't been locked and their @replies to me. The link that really stood out to me was to the website Twitter Grader, which apparently 'grades' twitter accounts based on some set of algorithms or something like that. What really surprised me, though, was the fact that my twitter account was ranked 25th among the "Twitter Elite" in Los Angeles.

WTF?

So of course the most logical reaction is to tweet about it (ha). And only then did I proceed to figure out what makes a 'twitter elite.' According to the website, a user's rank is based upon their "power, reach, and authority," whatever that means. So how do you rank power, reach, and authority? Sifting through their technical jargon on algorithms and whatnot (what the fuck are algorithms again?) the ranking is based on 6 factors: number of followers, power of followers (based on their rankings,) updates, update recency (how often you tweet), follower/following ratio, and engagement (how often are your tweets re-tweeted or replied to?)

And factoring all that into consideration, I apparently have been officially ranked at 380,070 overall. Not bad.

But of course, I'm still not entirely sure how this all came to be. I never signed up for this site or anything related to it in general, and my tweets are even protected. So what gives?

I'm still confused. But this is definitely an ego boost, so I'm not complaining.

"I don't know what he is....but I know want to have sex with him..."
-LN

No comments:

Post a Comment