11/4/09

feeling delightfully nerdy

Lately I've been in hermit mode, since all this talk of retro-hard drives and embarassing middle school interests has piqued my curiosity in an old game I spent way too much time on back in the day.



You ever hear of this game? It's one of the world's most popular turn-based strategy games. You start off as a simple settler unit, where you have the chance to build cities and military units. With your cities and military units, you can exert your power and technology over other players' civilizations' cities and units, all in the name of growing your own global superpower. And apparently I played it alot from 1996 to 1999.

It's kinda like chess, but more complex. And somehow even more geeky.

And my favorite part of the game is that if you really know how the mechanics work, you can create your own world maps, put cities where you want, and create hypothetical scenarios...like I did, envisioning what it would look like if the Bay Area was at war with itself:

East Bay, bitches!


This is actually kinda dangerous. My old middle school time-suck has become my new quarter life time-suck.

"you'll be my rich ex-coworker in no time!"
-JG

No comments:

Post a Comment