12/4/08

#1 on my charts, Part 3

You know the drill.

Oldies, Soul and Funk
"Oldies, Soul, and Funk" is such a general term for this category. There are so many subgenres that fall within this category, such as Latin or even Disco. I guess you could name this list as everything I like that came before 1980 (though technically, one of the songs came out in 1983). Either way, within this very large category, I have waaayy too many favorites, and it was painful to have to choose favorites. It's like being forced to choose between favorite ex's, while they're in the room with you, staring at you. And then after choosing, you're stuck in the room with them for the next 3 hours. It's uncomfortable.
Anyhoo, here we go:

#1 on My Charts Pt. 3 - Oldies Soul and Funk
I decided to go with a playlist format for the listing of the songs, since uploading them individually caused problems with many slower moving computers. But I'm still gonna talk about each track:

Ohio Players - Love Roller Coaster
Like the name indicates, this song really is as fun as a roller coaster. Fun Fact: It was once a rumor that the screaming sound you hear at 2:32 is a woman being murdered in the studio. But it's the Ohio Players, people. They defined fun in the Funk era.

The Delfonics - Going In Circles
I just have a thing for old soul ballads. Round and round we go...

Friends of Distinction - Grazing in Grass
This track is just so...happy. And fun. Someday, I want to perfect the chorus: I can dig it, he can dig it She can dig it, we can dig it They can dig it, you can dig it Oh, let's dig it Can you dig it, baby

Michael Sembello - She's a Maniac
I particularly like the acapella version that "Ted's Band" does on Scrubs of this song. I can't find the recording to it, but if you know where I can acquire it, let me know...

Earth, Wind and Fire - Fantasy
I'm a HUGE fan of Earth, Wind and Fire. That's what made it so difficult to choose a favorite from within their huge set. There's just something so crisp, so sharp about their sound. These guys really know how to put on a show, that's for sure.

Bloodstone - Natural High
What can I say? I enjoy these cool, calm, soul ballads. The original true love songs, in my honest opinion.

Sly and the Family Stone - Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself
This is a classic underlying guitar riff. Throw in the swaying notes on the horns, and you've got yourself a classic funky tune.

War - The World is a Ghetto
This song builds up from a quiet, haunting melody that subtly catches up with you before you even know it.

The Temptations - Have You Seen Her?
What's a good oldies favorite playlist without The Temptations?

The O'Jays - For the Love of Money
This song will transcend generations. It's message can ring true for whoever you may be, you greedy blood-sucking bastards.

Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4
Chicago at their best, before they turned love ballad soft rock.

Kool and the Gang - Too Hot
A somewhat unconventional track from the group that's known for hits such as "Hollywood Swingin'" and "Celebration"

The Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time
Didn't I do it baby?

Association - Never My Love
A very simple, yet cool and calm tune whose message is loud and clear: How can you think love will end, When I've asked you to spend your whole life, With me

Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye
I like both this version and the Jackson 5 version. Which one is better? Shit, I still can't decide to this day.

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
If you don't know me by now (especially since you're reading my blog), you will never never never know me.

Stevie Wonder - I was Made to Love Her
Doesn't matter how old you are, you've gotta love Stevie Wonder.

The Manhattans - Kiss and Say Goodbye
This really should've been on my ridiculously sad songs list.

Santana - Singing Winds, Crying Beast
I'm a big fan of Santana, and I'm especially a big fan of this less commercialized, definitely more musical track of his.

Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady
Put this song on, and I guarantee you'll have me drumming along wherever I am.

Malo - Suavecito
I remember this would always be the first song my dad would play during family parties. Maybe I'll do the same thing in the near future.

Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
It's been a long time comin, but I know a change gon' come...
So, Barack. It's been a long time comin'.

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy
Something about this song reminds me of Ned Flander singing this to Maude while dressed in a giant hear costume.

ELO - Mr. Blue Sky
Try and tell me you didn't smile when you heard this song.

Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher
I can't recall any other song Jackie Wilson was known for, but hey, all you need is one big hit.

Spooky - Classics IV
Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you. Spooky!

Spiral Staircase - More Today than Yesterday
Another one hit wonder of their day, but still, the song is timeless.

Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk
There's just something inherently...amazing...about this track.

The Mama's and Papa's - California Dreaming
Imagine, this song would work perfectly still if it weren't played a minor key.

Animals - House of the Rising Sun
A guitar riff that will be remembered for decades on out.

Peaches and Cream - Reunited
...and it feels so gooood.

Next time: R&B and Slow Jams, and Rock 1990 till today

"I'd wanna be friends with Snoop Dogg someday. He seems like a cool guy."
-BS

No comments:

Post a Comment