12/15/08

Vearsã cu gãleata

That means "it's raining cats and dogs" in Aromenian.

Mind my ignorance, but who the hell speaks Aromenian?

Today was the first "real" rain in Sunny Southern California. I say "real" because all the past few rains in the past month or two have been slight drizzles or sprinkles, and were hardly worthy to wash my car. I also know that this is the first real rain since there were the obligatory flash flood warnings and slowed commute to work due to inexperienced drivers in wet conditions and the increased amount of accidents due to that. Throw in the extra complaints from Southern California natives that this mild dripping from the sky that doesn't even require me to use my wiper blades all that often is "horrendous" and we've got ourselves a 'storm' in SoCal.

Either way, being an expatriate from a region in which rain comes regularly, and even moreso during the winter months, I find the 325 days of the year that Los Angeles doesn't get rain to be progressively more annoying. I miss real downpours (but I do have a limit when it comes to snow).

To that, I say chyen ap bwe nan nen (which in Haitian Creole means 'dogs are drinking in their noses').

"you remind me of my stepdad."
-JRT

1 comment:

  1. if you nor-cal people don't like the "mild" so-cal rain, you can get the hell out!

    though i think the rain wet the brakes on my car while it was parked. that's the sign of a real storm here in southern california.

    ReplyDelete