2/5/09

#1 On My Charts Part 5

Classical Overtures
Classical Music. That which defines musicality, composed by those whose last names you probably couldn’t pronounce or spell, and the basis of much of our music today. Now, I’m no classical music snob who will sneer at the thought of anything that was composed in the past couple of decades, but I would say that 12 years of piano lessons and enrollment in the high school band and orchestra has allowed me to develop some sort of appreciation for this music. So I’ll admit, that I was one of those kids who didn’t listen to anything but classical music for a while, and even in high school, the majority of the CDs I would put in danger of playing out were those of the orchestral nature.
What’s also great about classical orchestral music (and instrumental music in general) is that it requires solely on the music itself to convey feeling and emotion. For many songs in which the singer is featured, the background music becomes a footnote, there to fill the gap while the singer takes a breath or sip of water. In classical orchestral music, the music is the melody and there ain’t no stopping to catch your breath (except in opera. But unfortunately I dislike opera – sorry.)
I know not many people can really appreciate the sheer artistic effort that is exuded in these pieces. In many ways, classical music is an acquired taste that grows better with age, not unllike wine, cheese, or even old comedy routines.
Would I call this my favorite genre? Hard to say. I think string quartet tributes to popular groups such as Radiohead or Incubus are crap, and there only a few “orchestral” renditions of more modern music that are actually pulled off fairly well (refer to the orchestral version of ‘Fountain of Dreams’ or the rendition of ‘Stairway to Heaven’ for an example of decent renditions that were translated well onto the 80 strings format).
Collaborations are cool too:

(That’s Cypress Hill, supposedly. And apparently there’s no youtube link to the English version of this scene, sorry. That’s illegal. The scary part for me is that I know exactly what they’re saying without having to translate it at all)


#1 On My Charts Pt. 5 - Classical Overtures

Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto 2: Moderato Allegro
Man, Rachmaninoff had huge hands. If you’ve ever listened to any of his works, you’ll hear chords that are even bigger than 12ths. How the man managed to play what he wrote, I have no idea.

It is rumored that this piece would be impossible to play with only two hands, so the above method is the only way you can actually hear the song as it was written. If you ever see someone play it live, then they’re most likely dropping some notes for the sake of the actual reach of their hands.
But this wasn’t the track that’s on my favorites list. Though the one I featured up in the playlist is still pretty awesome.

Prokofiev – March from ‘The Love for Three Oranges'
Marches are fun to play and to listen to. Alongside with Pomp and Circumstance, this has to be one of my favorite marches.

Vitali – Chaconne
When this piece was written, it changed keys more liberally than most other music of its time (Baroque). And that’s what makes this piece wild for both its time, and ours.

Smetana – The Moldau
A friend of mine once said this sounded like something John Williams would compose. I’d say that was an insult to Bedřich Smetana.

Kozhevnikov – Slavyanskaya
Now here’s a fun track. I first heard this piece while playing for the UCLA Symphonic Band. And for the record, it does sound 10 times better in person.

Grand Russian Fantasia – Carnaval – Wynton Marsalis
I still haven’t figured out who originally composed this piece, but once again, I must feature Mr. Wynton Marsalis (he was on my jazz list too). Either way, this piece, which features the coronet, definitely showcases the talents of this man, proving that he can do more than jazz.

Shostakovich – Jazz Suite No. 2
I’m not normally a fan of waltz (and I sure as hell suck at dancing it), but there’s just something about this piece that really tugs at my heartstrings. That and it reminds me of something you’d hear while riding a Merry-Go-Round.

Ravel – Bolero
Anyone who knows this song will either love it for its dramatic and momentous buildup, or hate it because it is 13 minutes of the same line played over and over again, only louder. I rather enjoy the ever so slight crescendo.

Tchaikovsky – Waltz of the Flowers
Who doesn’t enjoy or know the Nutcracker Suite? My particular favorite part of this song is the call and response line with the strings and the winds.

Verdi – Grand March from Aida
I’m sure you’ve heard this song at some point in the past. The perfect piece for any pops orchestra.

Brahms – Hungarian Dance No. 5
Yes, Brahms also wrote the Lullaby too.

You wouldn’t expect any less from one of the three B’s. (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms)

Tchaikovsky – Slavonic March
Another score for Tchaikovsky on the list! Can you tell I enjoy the Slavic-influenced pieces?

Mussorgsky – Night on Bald Mountain
Thanks to Fantasia, this piece is almost always associated with the deepest, darkest, most evil, immoral, wicked, disgusting, loathsome, despicable, vile…
What was I describing again?

Sarasate – Zigeunerweisen, Op. 20
This particular recording features Itzhak Perlman, the world renowned violinist who played that second rate piece by John Williams at the inauguration. Oh wait! He didn’t play! That was a recording of him, while he pretended to play! This is still a good piece though.

Chopin – Prelude No. 15 in D Flat major (raindrop prelude)
Chopin has so many good pieces, and it’s difficult to choose only one. I first heard this song on the “Chopin and Champagne” CD, and it’s stuck with me ever since. And yes, I do realize this was the piece that was played on that Halo commercial.


Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue
One of the most popular pieces of contemporary times, and really, who doesn’t enjoy this song? Integrating jazz influences, this piece is especially exciting when heard live at the Hollywood Bowl (great show, by the way). Much popularity can be attributed to Fantasia 2000, or even those Southwest Airlines commercials.

Schubert - Symphony No. 8 in B minor ('Unfinished'), D. 759: Allegro Moderato
I’ve always wondered what else Schubert planned on adding to this piece. There were only two movements (most pieces have at least 3), and it wasn’t like he died or anything. He lived 6 years longer after he deemed this piece ‘unfinished.’

Liszt – Hungarian Rhapsody
Again with the Slavic-influenced musical themes here. I think I enjoy this song because it reminds me of Tiny Toons. You know those sequences in which they would play instrumental music over Tiny Toon animations? Yeah, I think they used this piece once.

Yup, they did.

Grieg – The Death of Ase
Grieg is mostly known for his ‘In the Hall of the Mountain King,’ but this piece, also in the same suite, I think I enjoy more. The mountain king may be fierce, but this piece has heart.

Dvorak – From the New World
Doesn’t the first few bars of this song sound like Jaws? This is one of those really majestic pieces I really enjoy.

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, 1st movement
The intro of the song is still my favorite. The way the pianist covers the whole keyboard in three chords is still amazing to me because I know I’m way too lazy to ever put up the effort to ever learn how to do that.

Shostakovich – Symphony No. 5
I once read that Shostakovich was commissioned by Lenin to compose music that would reflect the greatness of the Russian Revolution. People, I present to you the original Communist theme song.

Shostakovich – Galop
The best part of this song comes at 2:46, but lemme tell you, this piece is just as fun to play as it is to listen to.

Grieg - Concerto in A minor - allegro molto moderato
Would it be weird if I admitted I get shivers when I hear the first 26 seconds of the song?

Berlitz – Two Guitars
There have been many different variations of this Russian Gypsy folk song, some of them more cheesy than others (the Paul Mariat version? Bleh.)

Next time: My all time favorite Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Radiohead tracks

"Pomegranate juice? You are old."
-JC

No comments:

Post a Comment