9/24/08

4. What is it with this obsession with whiter skin?

“Fact: All Filipinos want fairer skin.”
-commercial for SkinWhite Whitening Lotion

Now, I’m pretty sure I’m late to catch on to this trend, but I always knew it existed, and I have since heard many Filipinos discuss it amongst themselves. I guess I just had to see it for myself. I don’t see why, I don’t understand it, but in the Philippines, lighter skin=more beautiful. They’ve even got soaps and lotions and body washes that are designed to make your skin more ‘pink-ish white.’



So I decided to give these whitening soaps a try, and conducted an experiment. I purchased the SkinWhite PowerWhitening hand lotion and body soap. The label read:
“Reveals your whitest white! Whitens in as fast as 7 days. Best of all, it whitens continuously.”

Everyday, I used the whitening body soap, and later used the whitening lotion (which doubled as a 20 SPF sunblock). I swear, my skin began to achieve that pink-ish white glow up until we spent time at Boracay, where my time in the sun roasted me and brought me back to my lowly dark brown.

And another thing, I know it’s a little late to point this out, but it’s true. All the biggest actors in the movies and all the people who do make it on TV are freakin white as hell. I mean, look at Aga Mulach. He’s everywhere and he’s as pale as my legs!

Okay, not really anymore, I actually wore shorts while in the Philippines. But just see for yourself!






Well, I’m not gonna lie. I’d be smiling like him too if I got to star in movies with those girls, ha.

“Tita Ming and Amanda look fine. You look like you just got darker.”
-BS
“Wow Mark…you certainly got darker. A nice tan.”
-EL
“Boracay made you dark!”
-Mom’s neighbor and friend

No comments:

Post a Comment