9/5/08

I will be unreachable for some time...

So in less than 5 days, I shall be departing the country. I will be traveling halfway across the world to the region that is known as the Philippines. The sheer gravity of the trip hasn't quite hit me yet, but I'm assuming that's because I've been so caught up in the grind that I haven't had the chance to sit down, breathe, and slow down to really assess the situation I'm about to get myself into. It'll be a flurry of firsts for me, some being my first time to the country of my cultural heritage, my first foray ever into Southeast Asia, and (according to the "Western scheme of things") my first time to set foot on a 'developing country.'

So basically, I'm not really sure what to expect, except for a life changing experience, which is what most of people who have visited the country prior have told me. There's an itinerary laid out for me already, I'll be there with my family, but still, I'm not sure how I'll be taking this. I'm not saying I might not enjoy this, by all means, I'm really looking forward to it with an open mind and a closed mouth (my mom advised me to not say anything out loud, otherwise that'll be the dead giveaway that I'm not from around there...although I'm guessing it's gonna be my profuse sweating that'll give it away).

While gone, I know I'll be missing out on some typical American commodities, such as mild temperatures, toilet paper in some parts (according to my brother at least), consistent clean running water, and I Love Money (unless they do air it on VH1 Southest Asia). It'll be different, but it'll be a good experience.

Either way, don't expect to hear back from me until about the 23rd of this month...but don't say bye! I'm not gone yet.

On another note, September 3rd was the one year anniversary of my blog! Isn't that cute, he's growing up...

This will be my 38th published post since that fateful night when I decided that hey, I should find some sort of creative outlet for all my incessant rantings. You know, create a place where I will be free to revel in narcissism and not feel bad about it. Lately there have been alot of people I know that have succumbed to this thing called blogspot. Welcome to the club, my friends.

Let's take a look back at that first post again:

"Needless to say, my attempts to start online journals have been inconsistent and flaky at best. I tend to lose interest in writing in these things after a while, since seemingly I only write when I'm feeling emotional. But I guess this is a trend I can break this time around, possibly. I say this every time, but will this one stand the test of time and my ultimate un-desire to write? I always answer the same way too: m'eh."

So far, so good.

Anyways, there's so much in the news that I've discovered thanks to my inflated amount of downtine at work, and so much I'd like to write about, but blogs that are actually read provide visuals, and so I'd like to conclude likewise:

My God, this woman is all over the news. You can't browse by a news channel or pass by a page on digg without seeing the name 'Palin' show up. As such, I have taken the time to get to know this veep candidate extensively, since the media has given her quite the hype. Now, I'd like to convince myself that I enjoy following politics, as much as I deny it publicly. But in reality I eat this shit up, haha. Some notable quotes from this past week:
Palin, on her experience as related to Obama's:
"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities."
Obama, on Palin's piercing attacks and why he isn't responding to her:
"Why? I'm not running against her, I'm running against McCain...I've heard worse on the basketball courts."
A blogger, calling the GOP out:
"I can imagine Biden at the VP debates now: 'You, Ms. Palin, are running a ticket in which you wish to appeal to the Hillary Clinton voters. I know Ms. Clinton personally, Ms. Palin, and you are no Hillary Clinton."
A Fox News correspondent, on Ms. Palin's foreign policy experience:
"Well of course she has foreign policy experience! She governed the state that is closest to Russia!"

Alls I've got say on this matter at this point is shame on you Republicans, for the obvious gimmick you are trying to play on America, knowing damn well that a good amount of people will fall for that gimmick. And if this fateful November, we do happen to allow the Grand Old Party (bro) to come into office, well then I just have to say that this country deserves to be fucked over if we're going to be that naive.


Seriously? I take consolation in the fact that both you, my readers, I, and millions of other people all over the United States view this as ridiculous and completely out of line. But I am also saddened by the fact that in some part of the United States (and in one of my relatives' houses), there is a family that is watching the Faux News Network and taking this as true, real, and genuine.


Awww, poor Bill. It may have already been a decade, but nobody's forgotten yet.


I ensure you, this is not photoshopped.


If you watch South Park, you'd be lauging your ass off right now.

Total laps swam so far, 9/5/08: 60 laps x 25 meters = 1500meters
How much in shape am I feeling: Gah I haven't swam in 2 weeks. And my family keeps telling me that I'm looking fatter. Not good.

"How am I? Well, I'm down to 8 cigarettes per day."
-MC

2 comments:

  1. well, you CAN opt to purchase and carry small packets of toilet paper with you at all times... or get with the program and just wash your ass with water (and hopefully, soap) just like everyone else. it's a great deal messier, but my aunt assures me that you feel WAAAAAY cleaner.

    it also helps to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer... but i'm sure your mom will have thought of that. let's see what else... if you plan on sticking around metro manila, a large handkerchief or small towel is a must.

    just remember the no talking rule, especially if you're wandering around the fairly swanky and upscale area of ortigas. hopefully, you won't be kidnapped or held at gun point during your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahhahaha, you mentioned the weather TWICE in your blog. that should be the least of your worries after raphael's warning that "hopefully, you won't be kidnapped or held at gun point during your stay." oh man. we'll miss you, buddy!

    ReplyDelete