9/30/08

since I've been gone...

....I can sleep for the first time...

..kinda.

Though my two hours spent tossing and turning in bed last night effectively cut my amount of hours of sleep to a measeley 3, I still feel beckoned to spend time writing in here for some odd but seemingly convincing reason.

First of all, there were some things I forgot to mention about my adventures in the east. They didn't have much to do with the country, rather what I did. So while there, my brother, cousin, and I pass by this detox/foot massage place someplace in Boracay. Advertising on the outside of this clinic was an offer for a detoxing through some sort of foot bath, not unlike the kinoki foot pad things, except through water. Have you ever heard about these things? Apparently this treatment is supposed to help remove toxins from your body that may have been building up in your blood vessels, stomach, lungs, and liver. So we all give it a try (with the exception of my brother...apparently you can't do the treatment if you have metal in your body[in his case, a metal rod keeping his femur together]) And, according to the picture, it looked like it worked:

(WARNING: The following image is graphic. I don't know how to keep you from looking at it, and you probably skimmed through the pictures on the post before you read the text, so in a way, this warning is kinda futile. Enjoy.)



See kids, that there's the product of epsom salt, some sort of detoxing ionizing machine, distilled water, and 60 minutes. That brown stuff you see is all the toxins from all the liquor I drank in college.

Shudder.

Moving on, I finally did make it back home, after an excruciatingly long Monday (my flight left 10:30pm Monday Philippine time, and arrived in 8:30pm Monday San Francisco time), and it was then that I discovered that the worst kind of hangover is jetlag. Especially when your jetlag is the product of a 15 hour time difference and the crossing of the international date line. I had a horrible experience trying to readjust, waking up at 3pm one day, and not being able to sleep till 8am the next day. It was terrible.

Also coming home, I finally had the time to organize all the little knick knacks and souvenirs one would buy from the Philppines. Though I had my share of typical artifacts such as tiny barrel men, giant wooden forks and spoons, and of course, pusit, there was one object I wasn't sure what to make of:



This dude.

It's a wooden statue of a headhunter, originating in the northern mountainous region of Luzon. In other words, my people. Be that as it may, it's still hideous. I don't know how my brother convinced me to buy one with him (there's a second one at home!), but for some reason, I ended up forking over the 500 pesos for this scary looking thing. I tried giving it to my dad, but he was adamant in keeping this thing out of the home, so for now, it currently resides next to my desk, ready to greet (or warn?) anyone who walks into my room. I guess what I'm trying to do is find it a home other than in my little abode, so if anyone wants a conversation piece or a halloween decoration, it's up for the taking!

One more off the wall purchase I made:



Thaaaat's right. It's Holy Communion bread. Unblessed though. And purchased at the liquor section in the supermarket at Fort Bonifacio's Market! Market! They were 60 pesos (about $1.30) per bag, and next to the wine.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone or anyone's religion. I'm Catholic too (but moreso by name not so much by practice). I'm just saying, if you saw this for sale next to the wine at the liquor store, wouldn't you at least chuckle?

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

"it's kinda mean, but it feels good"
-NR

No comments:

Post a Comment