3/19/09

#1 On My Charts, Pt. 6

My favorite Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Radiohead tracks

So I decided to switch things up a little this time around. Normally I would concentrate on a particular genre, encompassing many artists, some obscure, others not, whatever whatever you know what I mean. In case you hadn’t noticed, I didn’t include any of these artists in any of the previous playlists. I mean, they’re just that good that they deserve their own category.

By good, I mean influential, musical, revolutionary, experimental, world renowned, etc. I really can’t find the words to describe the amount of artistry and talent that was required to create these tracks. No really, I can’t. My vocabulary isn’t that large.

So why these three artists? For one thing, on more than one occasion, I’ve been asked “What are your 3 top (Beatles)(Radiohead)(Michael Jackson) tracks?” I remember I was asked once. Figured out a list off the top of my head. Then I was asked again. That’s what I realized that it was time for me to make a post about it (hey, being asked twice is still more than one occasion). And to those of you who have read this and actually partook in that conversation, you’ll noticed that I changed my mind about some tracks being my top 3. Believe, me, if it were up to me, I would choose all the songs of these artists as my top…I mean there’s just too much good music. But I can’t. A playlist with over 500 songs wouldn’t work out, and it would probably crash your computer if you were gonna try and read my blog.


#1 On My Charts Pt. 6

The Beatles
Let’s face it. Love em or despise em, they’re still the most influential group in all modern music history. No one doesn’t know who the Beatles are. If you don’t, well, either you’re 6 or you have dementia. Wait, I take that back. My 90 year old grandma (RIP, Grandma) had dementia. Even she could sing the Beatles.
Now, I’m no expert on them, I will admit. That job’s for my friend, whose blog you can find here.
I’m simply here to appreciate and enjoy the music.

In My Life
Across the Universe
A Day in the Life


Michael Jackson
There’s been too much press coverage and too many things already said about Michael Jackson that I really have nothing else to say about him. His recent buzz and popularity about his tour in London is enough to prove that Jacko can still draw a crowd.

Billie Jean
Remember the Time
PYT


Radiohead
While not nearly as commercially successful as the previously mentioned artists, I’d have to give these guys a spot as one of my ultimate favorite bands of all time. If any group has influenced my taste on music the most, it would be these guys. Maybe this is just me, but I see a parallel in styles of Radiohead and the Beatles. While both groups may have begun as just another rock group, their sound evolved as they aged. Over the years in their respective times, both groups evolved into something more “experimental,” that while accepted by some was questioned by some. Radiohead may not be for everyone, especially in their work as of late. It’s a little too much for some to comprehend. But the same could be said for the Beatles’ later stuff, when experimentation and psychedelic-ness dominated their style. And, the fact that they just dissed Miley Cyrus just bumps up my respect even moreso.

Paranoid Android
How to Disappear Completely
Talk Show Host


2 days.

"Why the hat? You look like a beatnik."
-LT

1 comment:

  1. 'tis true that radiohead shows some parallels with the beatles as far as the progression and diversity of their musical styles. most importantly, i'm sure that the beatles would have snubbed miley cyrus as well.

    ReplyDelete