1/21/10

Day 21: "I like the hot artichoke spinach dip."


Visited the Elephant Bar for dinner tonight, since my dad was so intent on going for some reason. I hadn't been since March of 2007 (yes I remember...cause it was a spring break outing). It was exactly as I remembered: cheesy "exotic" decorations, foreign-sounding-but-not-foreign-enough-to-scare-off-the-general-public dishes, and servers decked out to look like they're attending some safari-themed party.

The food was mostly forgettable and I think in their attempt to have a dish from all the "exotic" (non-Westernized) places of the world (you can anything get anything from Shanghai Cashew Chicken to JamaicaMojo Grilled Shrimp Salad), their chefs have not perfected anything enough to have it really stand out.

But perchance I'm being too harsh. After all, when it comes to big chain restaurants (like P.F. Changs, Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster and the like) that pop up in places that lack character (i.e. anywhere but a big city, I suppose), you're paying less for the food and moreso for the experience of going out.

Reminds me of a scene I saw in "Weeds", where one of the main characters laments the closing of an independently owned Indian restaurant:

Doug: I tried to spread the word. I eat here every day - invited people. Oh, it's too ethnic. Oh, it's it's it's too spicy. Oh, those people don't wash their hands. What the fuck is wrong with these morons who'll go to... wait an hour to in line for some fuckin' crappy Olive Garden and let a treasure like this go out of business? I can't take it.
Nancy: Doug, why are we here?
Doug: Did you taste the Saag Aloo? It's to die for and then be re-incarnated and then die again. Why aren't you eating?
Nancy: I told you I ate already.
Doug: Where?
Nancy: The Olive Garden
Doug: I wouldn't take a dump in the Olive Garden.
Nancy: I like the hot artichoke spinach dip.
Doug: I can't even look at you.
Nancy: OK, enough, enough. I'm sure the Saag Aloo is is is delicious. (takes a taste of it with her finger) Wow, that's incredible.
Doug: Tell me that doesn't kick your artichoke dips ass!


But fine, I guess I shouldn't complain though. Elephant Bar had a pretty good hot artichoke dip too.

No comments:

Post a Comment