3/31/10

Day 90: the process

Come on. Were you really expecting me to post anything else the day after I purchased this kit? So this is how beer is made, using the Mr. Beer home brewery kit:

First you mix the malt and hops extract and bring to a boil:


Then you mix the concoction with a corn syrup extract (also included) and pour it into this nifty mini keg that comes with the kit:


After adding yeast, the next step, as in all alcohol brewing, is to let it ferment for a number of weeks. And the waiting process begins again...


Funny thing is, with all the alcohol brewing I've been doing as of late, I've tasted very little of my craft. Hm. Tis true. You don't get high off your own supply.

4 comments:

  1. I remembered I fermented my own alcohol in chemistry class--I got 75% ethanol. the process took a week but my final yield was TINY--probably I'd say 1 mL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...MISTER BEER doesn't turn out to be 75% alcohol (though that would make a pretty good cocktail)

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn, seventy-five percent. reminds me of the aspirin i made with a classmate back in honors chemistry in tenth grade. i think very little of it was actually aspirin after analysis, maybe about fifteen percent.

    ReplyDelete