7/29/10

be cool

So I'm sitting alone at Bahama Breeze, a Jamaican themed restaurant smack dab in the middle of this tourist district in Orlando. While waiting for my take-out to be prepared, I decide to head on over to the bar and order a beer for myself. A live calypso one-man-band is playing bad covers of Jimmy Buffet songs while tiki torches that look like they could've been bought from Big Lots burn in the background. To avoid looking strange and lonely while outdoors in the still warm and muggy evening, I start checking my phone, browsing twitter, facebook, and eventually my work email.

I stop myself short when I realize what I'm doing. I don't need to be tethered to the details of my reality at home. No need to stay plugged into what's going on 2,444 miles away. I put the phone away and decide to just sit there, relax and enjoy my beer. I'm on vacation, dammit.

"food...dude. no, I love to eat...food. yeah, food is good. you need it to live."
-KV

No comments:

Post a Comment