1/18/11

#69 - Watch at least two TED lectures every month (Jan)

Watch at least two TED lectures every month

For those of you who don't know, TED, or Technology Entertainment and Design, is a global set of conferences by the Sapling Foundation. These conferences were formed to "disseminate ideas worth spreading.

The topics of these conference lectures range from a variety of topics in various subjects such as business, entertainment, science, technology, and design to other offbeat topics such as extreme sports, fish, and how to build a toaster from scratch.

Why I elected to only watch two of these lectures each month is beyond me (I think I may have just copied it from another 1,001 project). These things are fascinating, and I'm sure I'l be watching more than the two a month I've elected myself to.

So what new knowledge did I fill my noggin with this month?

David McCandless: The beauty of data visualization
David McCandless turns complex data sets (like worldwide military spending, media buzz, Facebook status updates) into beautiful, simple diagrams that tease out unseen patterns and connections. Good design, he suggests, is the best way to navigate information glut -- and it may just change the way we see the world.

In other words...he make numbers pretty.

and

Derek Sivers: How to start a movement
With help from some surprising footage, Derek Sivers explains how movements really get started. (Hint: it takes two.)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I watch TED when I am feeling frustrated with life and need some inspiration. They have some good talks out there.

    Hope you're well! :)

    ReplyDelete