6/15/10

watch what happens

There's a certain level of excitement when one becomes an intern in a field that they are genuinely interested in. There's so much hope and doe-eyed curiosity as to what sort of opportunities lie ahead of you as you begin your first new job as an underling/minion to someone who will potentially be your first employer or at least the writer of a recommendation letter that will get the attention of your first employer.

Having spent some time in the real world already and this not being my first internship, the excitement from my new position isn't what it used to be. Maybe it's because of the the major pay cut, the fact that taking this position part-time has put my current breadwinning (read: soul sucking) current job at risk since my boss has taken it as a declaration of my intent to eventually leave so we'll "see what happens" (translation: we're gonna let you go before you decide to leave us) and that all in the end, it's still only a temporary position.

But looking at this from an alternative to the "gotta make that money and pay those bills" perspective that has pervaded my yuppie lifestyle as of late, I realized that this is more about the experience and about setting a foundation towards what may potentially be more exciting and interesting work (and something I may actually be interested in doing). No, the public sector isn't as glamorous as the private sector pays and with the state of the economy at the moment, I really shouldn't give up a job that sustains me and my wine making hobby for an industry that is facing multi-million dollar budget shortfalls.

But honestly, I'm just really really getting tired of staring at bus schedules all day.

"I really need to be paid to be me, it's retarded how amazing I am"
-KF

1 comment: