6/1/10

Day 152: challenge


I'm sure you all remember last week when I advocated for the Car-Free Challenge I'd be taking a part in. Today was the kick off party, where we discussed public transit issues over wine, beer, cheese, and crackers in the back of a sporting goods store.

Chatting it up with these relatively young (still older than me, but much younger than my coworkers that I've gotten so used to dealing with) and idealistic non-profiteers who are driven less by the need for stability and a steady paycheck and more by their passions and interests has made me realize that they are where I want to be right now. As for me, I'm where I want to be 10-15 years right now, with the nice tv, the happy paycheck, and the stable but incredibly soul-sucking job.

But one thing. Don't tell them I actually drove more than usual yesterday...I did need to get to the event somehow....shhhhhh.

3 comments:

  1. I did drive any miles on my car for the past--well long while--because I have no car but I don't have car insurance.

    But anyways though I have no car, I think I am happy where I am now but there's always room for improvement for better things. Right now I'm not after a tv or a Louis Vuitton. You know one of my fb friends wrote on her status "got my first LV" and it was one of the top news feeds and someone comments "congrats! enjoy life!" oh shoot, I haven't lived yet because I don't have a 3k handbag. But seriously when I first lived in SD, I felt like it was high school the adult version and I'd be stuck with a bunch of ladies with their obsession with designer bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lols....and on the first day of the challenge, too. wtf, solomon?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, I don't really need the nice tv and don't even have the nice car. In fact, despite the happy paycheck, I still don't have any money because it's all going towards paying off debt (and winemaking).

    something I was talking about with someone that night was that her friends' first jobs did have glamorous paychecks, and now that the economy has tanked, they've been spoiled with that lifestyle and it's hard to adjust. Let's hope it never comes to that for me.

    ReplyDelete