10/9/10

Day 282: cal memorial


As a Bay Area local and an alumni of UC Berkeley's baby brother, I'm surprised I never made my way up to actually see UCLA play at Berkeley's Cal Memorial Stadium. In fact, I think it's the first time I've seen UCLA football play at a visiting stadium.

I'd been spending more around this campus lately, and I'm only now realizing what a stark contrast there is between my alma mater and here. I can really see how some could have been torn having to choose between UCLA and Berkeley (I wouldn't have known, I wasn't accepted). The differences between the two campuses are fairly profound and exactly what you would've expected. Berkeley's weather is dreary, it's a bit run down, full of aging hippies and buildings that are falling apart. Sunny LA's placed so much emphasis on campus beauty and glamor so every aspect of campus seems to aesthetically be in tip-top shape. Berkeley's campus and surrounding neighborhoods are more lively and the homeless roam with unperturbed students. LA makes a huge effort to shuttle their homeless off campus and students are aghast at even the sight of one.

Shame that we lost. Was I really expecting otherwise though? At least our home venue is prettier.

No comments:

Post a Comment