4/21/10

Day 111: keep walking


I'm not sure how I got involved with the Striding Man Society, but I ain't complaining. They sure know how to throw a party.

So I first heard about this event through a Thrillist newsletter (sign up for it!), in which I could sign up for a "Johnnie Walker tasting." I wasn't exactly sure what the event was, but hey I like Johnnie Walker and I like free alcohol even more, so why the hell not?

I wasn't sure what to expect when we drove our way to the boonies of San Francisco, but I guess what I was most surprised to see was a line of 20-30 somethings looking like they just got out of work (read: yuppies...who, I'm assuming all read Thrillist). They led us all to the rooftop where loud music was playing, free cocktails were being served, and caterers were walking around offering mini burger sliders infused with blue cheese, shredded short ribs in a flaky crust, and grilled potato and onion quiche. Not bad, considering this event was technically free (they did ask us for a small donation to a charity).

In their attempt to make Johnnie Walker seem young and hip (this particular brand did happen to be my grandpa's favorite), they prodded us to tweet live from the event using the #johhniewalkertasting hashtag, and to tag the pictures they took of us on facebook.

Like most free tastings, they then held us captive to listen to some guy ramble about the different flavors and aromas you're supposed to be smelling and tasting as you take these small sips of blended scotch whiskey.

I'm sure most of what he was priming us with was mostly propaganda (gotta admit though, the commercials they showed us convinced me to buy a bottle), I did actually learn something while I was there (did you know that the reason Johnnie Walker bottles are square shaped are so they were less likely to break while in transport? And that the reason their label is angled at 20 degrees is so it stands out?)

The best part? We actually got to taste Johnnie Walker Blue Label, which was a goal of mine on my bucket list.

2 comments: