4/28/10

Day 118: I need to cook more

I was inspired by a fancy restaurant I made my way to last weekend to try my hand at
replicating their macaroni and cheese tonight. When looking up their ingredients, I had run into some craft (not Kraft)cheeses I had never heard of, namely gruyere, fontina, and some foreign sounding thing called "cheddar."

just so you know, that's my gruyere, biatch!



Borrowing from other mac and cheese recipes I found online, I was able to concoct a piecemeal recipe that sounded like it would work. Here's what I used:
1 pound elbow macaroni or other pasta
1 quart milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 ounces Gruyere, grated (2 cups)
8 ounces Fontina, grated (2 cups)
4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (1 cup)
1/4 pound fresh tomatoes (2 small)
1 cup fresh white bread crumbs
(OPTIONAL): bacon bits and garlic

Begin by heating the milk in a saucepan. Don't let it boil.

Next, melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a pot and added flour. Constantly stir and slowly add milk until the clumps are gone and the mixture becomes thick.

Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese to the mixture and continue stirring that until it becomes thick and creamy.


Add the pasta and keep mixing until it's coated in the cheese mixture. Add it to a baking dish when finished.


Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and combine them with the bread crumbs (and bacon bits and garlic, if you so choose). Sprinkle on top.


Bake at 375 degrees and 30-35 minutes later, you'll get a taste of Mark's Patented (but stolen initially) Mac and Cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment